Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What is Masago?

As a sushi restaurant, we are aware that some of our culinary terminology may be lost during our visitors' dining experiences. After all, sushi may be about food and culture exploration, but it's not uncommon to see diner's stick to their favorite rolls and dishes over and over. Because we want all of our customers to understand Japanese cuisine and culture, it is our goal to educate everyone on some of these confusions on this blog.

One of the major questions we receive (probably because it is in a lot of sushi rolls) is "What is this Masago stuff?"

Well, according to sustainablesushi.net, it is:

Masago is the processed roe (eggs) of the capelin, a small fish that exists in vast quantities throughout the northern Atlantic and Pacific oceans. It is generally orange-red in color and is often used as a garnish or to top pieces of nigiri. It should not be confused with tobiko, the roe of the flying fish, which is similar in color but more transparent and slightly larger.

As you can tell from the description, masago is not much of a culinary discovery, considering that it is used very often in our dishes.

The fact of the matter - You love masago. You just may not know that you do. If you are a serious sushi lover, you probably never even thought to wonder what the orange stuff was. You just want to consume the deliciousness. And we understand that. We often do the same.

Hopefully, this blog post has educated you on masago and will allow you to order off of our menu with more wisdom next time around.

Look for more of these informative posts coming throughout 2010.

8 comments:

Anonymous January 1, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I was hopng for a description of the flavor.

TiLynn Scheller January 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM

They are wonderful. I always ask for extra. As for flavor they are salty and slightly fishy tasting

Anonymous May 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM

If you're not willing to try it, what are you doing at a sushi bar? I'm sure there is a burger king in your town that you would feel more comfortable with.

Anonymous October 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Love the stuff. I have a Japanese neighbor who shops at a market respectively. She asked if I wanted her to pick something up for me. I said smelt eggs. She didn't know what I was talking about so we went online and voila, it's masago by name. She brought back a package of it and jar of ginger (natural colored, not pink) and a packet of nori seaweed. I have the seaweed, munch on it like chips. :) She then made a hand roll by laying out so ginger to moisten the seaweed so it can be shaped and not crack apart and I was able to spoon the mosago into the cone-shaped roll. I was in heaven. Simple, tasty, great snack.

Bob
Los Angeles

Anonymous November 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Thank you. That description helped.

Anonymous March 9, 2014 at 9:06 AM

It sucks. Tastes like semen.

Anonymous April 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I love masago on my sushi. It adds color and a little salt to sushi. Does anyone know how long it lasts for in the fridge? I bought masago from the asian market and they didn't seem to have a smaller package of it. It's been in my fridge for a while. It doesn't smell but is more sticky and clumped together.

Anonymous April 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM